Smash the Church, Smash the State!
Trade Paperback · 256 Pages
$18.95 U.S. · $19.95 CAN · £12.99 U.K. · €13.99 E.U.
City Lights Publishers
Recommended for These Courses
- American History: 20th Century
- American History: General
- History: 20th Century
- History: American History
- Sociology: Gender Studies
- Women's and Gender Studies: Gay Studies
- Women's and Gender Studies: General
This anthology by former members of the Gay Liberation Front (GLF) captures the history and spirit of the revolutionary time just after Stonewall, when thousands came out of the closet to claim their sexuality, and when queer resistance coalesced into a turbulent, joyous liberation movement—one whose lasting influence would ultimately inform and profoundly shape the LGBT community of today.
Personal essays explore the philosophy and culture of the stridently anti-assimilationist GLF: the actions, demonstrations, and marches; views on marriage, religion, and gender; the drugs, orgies, and communes; and GLF’s relationship to the hippies, the Black Panthers, the straight Left, the women’s movement, civil rights, and the antiwar struggle.
The collection includes contributions from Martha Shelley, Cei Bell, Paola Bacchetta, Susan Stryker, Tom Ammiano, Nikos Diaman, Mark Segal, Barbara Ruth, and Perry Brass.
About the Author
Order from an online bookseller
- Barnes and Noble
Find a local bookseller
- Barnes and Noble (Store Locator)
- Books-A-Million (Store Finder)
- Borders (Store Locator)
- Chapters/Coles/Indigo (Canadian Store Locator)
- Hastings (Store Locator)
- IndieBound (Independent Booksellers National Directory)
- WalMart (Store Finder)
(Check your local Yellow Pages for a bookstore near you.)
International online orders
- Amazon.ca (Canada)
- Amazon.fr (France)
- Amazon.de (Germany)
- Amazon.co.jp (Japan)
- Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom)
- Chapters.Indigo.ca (Canada)
Domestic and International offline orders
The Perseus Books Group
Customer Service Department
1094 Flex Drive
Jackson, TN 38301