Culture Clash in AmeriCCa
Trade Paperback · 224 Pages
$15.95 U.S. · €11.99 E.U.
Theatre Communications Group
Recommended for These Courses
- Drama: American Drama
- Drama: General
- Political Science: Emigration and Immigration
- Political Science: International Relations
- Sociology: Emigration and Immigration
- Sociology: General
- Sociology: Hispanic Studies
- Sociology: Race and Ethnic Minorities
"These guys are funny daredevils of performance, totally fearless as they skewer convention and lazy thinking. Cool."—Eric Bogosian
"Important social satire for these urgent times."—Dolores Huerta, Vice President, United Farm Workers Union
"Keep kicking them in the cojones."—George Carlin
The newest work by the ever-outrageous comic trio, Culture Clash (Richard Montoya, Ric Salinas, and Herbert Siguenza) collects their four most recent investigations into contemporary American culture as viewed in four very distinct American cities. Each piece was commissioned by a local theatre company who invited our three lads into their communities and unlocked the doors. This volume includes:
• "Bordertown" examinines the twin border cities of San Diego and Tijuana with special guest appearances by Charleton Heston, Shamu the Killer Whale, and Sidewinder Sam.
• "Nuyorican Stories" brings the Clash to the Big Apple as they delve into the personal histories of the early Puerto Rican political activists in New York.
• "Mission Magic Mystery Tour" is Culture Clash’s return to their home turf of San Francisco’s Mission District as the locals withstand an all-out invasion by the dot-com generation.
•"Dreaming of Lincoln" brings the fearless troupe to our nation’s capital for a unique look at the land of the free.
Culture Clash formed in 1984 to fill a unique role in American arts. Their nominal mission is to show cultures in opposition and, by opposing them, bring them closer together. But their talents are too expansive to be restricted to just "political theatre." Culture Clash have managed to gerrymander theatre’s traditional map, erasing the borders between any and all districts they choose to explore. They have a style all their own with a foundation that harkens back to the best vaudevillians of the U.S. and Latin America. Comedy and satire is what they feed on, in the tradition of Lenny Bruce, the Marx Brothers, Charlie Chaplin, and Catinflas.
About the Author
Order from an online bookseller
- Barnes and Noble
Find a local bookseller
- Barnes and Noble (Store Locator)
- Books-A-Million (Store Finder)
- Borders (Store Locator)
- Chapters/Coles/Indigo (Canadian Store Locator)
- Hastings (Store Locator)
- IndieBound (Independent Booksellers National Directory)
- WalMart (Store Finder)
(Check your local Yellow Pages for a bookstore near you.)
International online orders
- Amazon.ca (Canada)
- Amazon.fr (France)
- Amazon.de (Germany)
- Amazon.co.jp (Japan)
- Amazon.co.uk (United Kingdom)
- Chapters.Indigo.ca (Canada)
Domestic and International offline orders
The Perseus Books Group
Customer Service Department
1094 Flex Drive
Jackson, TN 38301